Monday, June 29, 2009

Trials and Tribulations of Buying a Sofa

Well, we finally bought a new sofa. We have owned our last sofa for about 15 years, and I know it needed replacing. It just wasn't comfortable anymore, although, in black leather, it still looked pretty decent.

I've been sofa shopping for at least 2 or 3 years now-- my husband estimates that we sat in at least 30-40 sofas during that time. What took me so long to finally decide? It was really tough finding a sofa that was comfortable enough for our family, yet still attractive enough for my design sensibilities. The perfect sofa for me includes the following characteristics:

1- It is good looking, with clean lines and a tailored, contemporary look
2- It is comfortable for TV watching and working on my laptop
3- It is high enough in the back to give good neck support
4- It is not so deep that my feet do not touch the floor when sitting (I am just under 5 feet tall)
5- It is long wearing and durable
6- It doesn't cost a fortune

There are probably many of you out there who can relate to this list. The good news is that I finally found the sofa and it was in stock, available for delivery in just three days. I found it at La-Z-Boy. Comfort was a higher priority than having my idea contemporary-style couch, although the sofa is good looking enough to please me. It has a streamlined look, and does not have the large back cushions like many other sofas. Since my husband and I work quite a bit on our laptops, we opted to buy a reclining sofa. Each end reclines, so both of us can have our feet up, and our laps are in perfect position for the laptops and for TV

The whole family is enjoying the comfortable new couch. Now I can devote my efforts to finding the perfect fireplace tile!

1 comment:

Real Rooms for Real People said...

You're so right! In fact the sofa we bought has two recliners-- aaahhh so comfortable!
Thanks for writing.